[See original post here]
As with every other extracurricular activity during the COVID-19 pandemic, Halloween will assuredly be dampened this year. I am not the first person to note the irony; Halloween is a holiday based entirely on the idea that everyone should wear a mask.
Will Anchorage’s new mayor issue a municipal wide ban on live Halloween, as the old mayor did with live music?
Will anyone host Halloween parties?
Will anyone else attend?
Will families go trick-or-treating?
Is trick-or-treating a socially distanced activity?
Should I just leave a basket of candy out on the porch and call it quits when one small marauder takes it all?
Is bobbing for apples illegal?
Should it be?
Should we wear masks in the water while bobbing for apples?
Will people dress up in costume?
What will be the top costume of choice?
If we assume Halloween will not be stricken from the calendar, and that there will be costumes, and that people will dress up in them, below are the clear favorites for the Most Desirable Halloween Costume of 2020:
For those who remained single before, during, and after quarantine –
Top Singles Costumes for Halloween 2020:
- The Karen – Karen with bobbed hair, crow’s feet, and a bitter expression, has already been dubbed “the scariest Halloween costume of 2020,” by Good Morning America;
- Hunter Biden – all you need is a crack pipe and a wire transfer. No shirt required;
- Mask-ed Vigilantes – no obligation to separate along party lines here. This costume can be applied to both pro, and anti, mask vigilantes.
For those who managed to find love, despite quarantine –
Top Couples Costumes for Halloween 2020:
- Pilots and flight attendants;
- A pair of Sheeple;
- Donald Trump and Joe Biden;
- Amy Coney Barrett and Ruth Bader Ginsburg;
- Hydroxychloroquine and Remdesivir.
And for the rarest life form of all, those who managed to maintain friendships despite quarantine, and subsequent highly charged political events–
Top Group Costumes for Halloween 2020:
- The cast of Tiger King:
- Joe Exotic;
- Carole Baskin;
- Fraudster Jeff Lowe;
- Pony-tailed polygamist Bhagavan Antle;
- Stool pigeon Howard Baskin;
- Victim and tiger feed, Don Lewis.
- The cast of General Hospital:
- COVID virus;
- COVID vaccinations;
- N-95 Masks.
- The cast of former Anchorage Mayor, Ethan Berkowitz’s sex scandal:
- Ethan Berkowitz dressed in a backless suit and carrying a selfie stick;
- Maria Athens;
- Molly Blakey, intermittently dispensing booze and cookies;
- The escort known as Rae – She’s mysterious, so costumes are open to interpretation.
- The cast of Current Events, not to exclude:
- Exodus (sometimes known as Brexit);
- The Apocalypse – This can be subdivided into the Four Horsemen, and One Woman, of the Apocalypse:
- Scott Atlas;
- Alex Azar;
- Deborah Birx;
- Anthony Fauci;
- Mike Pence.
- The cast of a Zoom meeting:
- A baby;
- A pet;
- A bra;
- A toilet;
- A thermos of vodka;
- The Mute Button.
- The cast of Cancel Culture:
- Woodrow Wilson;
- Teddy Roosevelt;
- J.K. Rowling;
- The New York Times;
- Mount Rushmore;
- Broadway show, Hamilton;
- And, of course, The Founders.
I myself choose not to rank costumes, but shall instead dress up as everything. On Halloween, you will find me isolated indoors eating cookies and drinking vodka out of my favorite tiger mug. Photos of Mount Rushmore will cycle repeatedly on the television, and I will don my beloved pair of fluffy sheep slippers. I will then promptly miss the mute button as I talk on the phone while doing a highly personal activity.
Every year, Sarah Brown celebrates Halloween with maximum enthusiasm. This year, she can be reached at email@example.com, and on Twitter @BrownsClose1. “Close” is a British term for alley or cul-de-sac.